This fall is the first time in 30 years that Cluster tutors and students haven’t met face-to-face. Yet 90 students are still participating in one-to-one remote learning with their tutors.
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, nothing is going according to plan for any of us. Yet since last spring’s lockdown, Cluster still has made progress:
- All four of Cluster’s graduating seniors attended the college of their choice this fall, including one student who is attending Howard University!
- Although our Summer Reading Program could not happen as planned, Cluster helped 18 students with free virtual intensive reading training provided by professional teachers.
- We provided students with needed technology items, including laptop computers, home printers, books, and printer ink. To date, we’ve given some form of technology support to 46% of Cluster’s students. Plus, all of Cluster’s students in grades K-5 received bags full of remote learning school supplies.
- Cluster’s partnership with Austin neighborhood-based Forty Acres Fresh Market, a start-up grocer, is providing fresh fruit and produce deliveries to Cluster families throughout the school year.
- Through a partnership with the Mathnasium of Oak Park, 28 of Cluster’s students are participating in weekly remote math enrichment tutoring sessions.
None of this good work, however, is possible without your financial support. Please consider making a donation to Cluster this year. To donate, please go to our donation page. You also can choose to repeat your donation monthly, increasing your investment in Cluster’s critical work during these uncertain times. If you prefer to donate by check, they can be mailed to Cluster’s office at 118 N. Central Ave., Chicago, IL 60644. All donations are fully tax-deductible. In addition, the CARES Act for pandemic relief allows taxpayers who take standard deductions to deduct up to $300 in charitable donations.
Also: If you shop on Amazon, you can select Cluster as your charity of choice through AmazonSmile by using this link. Cluster will get 0.5% back on all eligible purchases.
With several COVID vaccines on the verge of approval, we hope to be able to meet again for in-person tutoring before too long!